Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Vanity Search "Gabrielle Baldwin"

The vanity search directed me to many unexpected surprises. I learned there is a pediatrician that specializes in adolescent medicine named Gabrielle Baldwin who lives in Andalusia, Alabama. I also found a journalist named Gabrielle Baldwin who writes for the Journal of Tertiary Educational Administration. A number of newspaper articles showed up in this particular search engine, google, which were presented by the Eatonville newspaper about the night I was crowned as daffodil princess of EHS. The next search engine i explored was yahoo. The first link that was listed was a Star trek Simulations group on the Internet in which Gabrielle Baldwin was the lieutenant commander. Listed after this were the large array of newspaper articles involving the daffodil festival, including the names of the girls involved. Many more articles about me were listed in this search engine which surprised me. It seems that google would have more to offer because of its familiarity and publicity. Ask Jeeves contained more information about the pediatrician from Alabama but had no news about me personally. When i clicked on images to see if my picture showed up, sure enough, my official daffodil picture is the first to be listed, which isn't so bad, because the articles already showed my face. Next i explored google earth. This was a little more difficult to navigate because when i plugged my address into the search bar, i was directed to a totally different 62ND street between Parkland and Tacoma, however i live in Graham. In order to find my true destination i had to follow Pacific Avenue all the way to the desired street. Here i was able to find my house which was fascinating. Its scary to think that a simple software that's easy to download could find my house without my permission. My Myspace and Facebook continue to be private so for all i know nobody has any dirt on me on the world wide web.
Before completing the vanity search, i didn't think much about the information that is shared online about ones personal life. Even though this is being realized by more people everyday, i think it was an unexpected reality. What is interesting is that the most information i found about myself was presented through newspaper articles, which could be one of the unfortunate things about the paper switching to the Internet. What is to come when background checks are to be conducted? Nobody will have any secrets. This is a perfect example of that saying "You can run, but you can't hide." The Internet will keep track of you and ironically, online newspapers are a big part of the tracking system.

No comments: